- Appointed to the Third Department effective May 26, 2017.
- Graduated from Hamilton College and Syracuse University College of Law.
- Served as Assistant District Attorney (1976-1979) and Assistant County Attorney (1980-1983) for Cortland County.
- Served as Attorney for the Town of Cortlandville (1983-1993) and the Cortland Housing Authority (1988-1993).
- Engaged in private practice with Ryan & Rumsey in Homer, New York (1976-1993).
- Served as Legislative Counsel for State Senator James L. Seward (1987-1993) and Counsel to the Senate Standing Committee on Agriculture (1985-1986).
- Elected Supreme Court Justice in the Sixth Judicial District in 1993 and reelected in 2007.
- Member of the Committee on New York Pattern Jury Instructions - Civil (2008-present).
- Past President of the Association of Justices of the Supreme Court of the State of New York, receiving the Association's 2013 Inaugural Justice Martin Evans Award for Judicial Excellence and Leadership.
- Honorably discharged from service in the military police unit of the Army National Guard.
- Admitted to practice in 1976 and maintains Chambers in Cortland.